Reflecting on the Song of Songs




I felt to share some reflections from chapters 3 & 4 of the Song of Songs in the MESSAGE paraphrase as part of my study of this book. 

First, a recap of the introduction to this book.

---

This Song is the best of the best, is essentially what Song of Songs 1:1 is saying.

At this chapter's beginning, we beg Him for more, more of Him.

The bride wants quality time - to ABIDE with Him, and she asks: Tell me where you're working. (Song of Solomon 1:7 MSG). 

She wants to work alongside Him.

---

Song of Songs chapter 3 really exemplifies:

  • How we should desire Him.
  • How our spirits do desire Him.

Without him 'restless' and 'sleepless through the night':


I longed for my lover.

I wanted him desperately.

His absence was painful.


So, she 'got up, went out... I found him, found my dear lost love'.

'I threw my arms around him and held him tight, wouldn't let him go until I had him home again' (Song of Solomon 3:1-4 MSG)


Jesus, I want to want You like that always. 

To seek You and make Your Presence my home. 


To hold You close & never let go. This is my desire.


To see Him as Bridegroom, 'My King-Lover, dressed and garlanded for his wedding, his heart full, bursting with joy!' (Song of Solomon 3:11)

He is ready to marry us.

He's rejoicing; He's so full of joy - over the moon about us!

And that should be how we are about Him. How He is training me to live, by His grace.



INVITATION in the 4th chapter of the Song

Invite me, and I come. I stay.

He affirms:

You're beautiful from head to toe, my dear love, beautiful beyond compare, absolutely flawless. (Song of Solomon 4:1-5 MSG)


He invites:

Come with me from Lebanon, my bride. Leave Lebanon behind, and come. 

Leave your high mountain hideaway.

Abandon your wilderness seclusion where you keep company with lions and panthers guard your safety. 

Solitude without communion isn't love. It's loneliness.

Seclusion without oneness and connected union is just being alone, trying to do it oneself being I- dependent. 


He reaffirms:

You've captured my heart, dear friend... 

And all without us apparently doing anything.

How beautiful your love, dear, dear friend - far more pleasing than a fire, rare wine, your fragrance far more exotic than select spices


He just wants you. Me. Us. Nothing needs to be sourced from far away.

Just us. And nearness. Intimacy.

The kisses of your lips are honey, my love, every syllable you speak a delicacy to savour

And that's how he thinks of me, worthy of favour, lovable, beautiful. 

Worthy of love and belonging, which social researcher Brene Brown says is the key to wholehearted human flourishing in her book Daring Greatly (2015).

And He's jealous.

Dear lover and friend, you're a secret garden, a private and pure fountain Body and soul, you are paradise. (Song 4:8-15 MSG)


In all this, He's saying ~ 'You're mine'. We are His. That comes with both joy and responsibility.

In return, we must invite His Holy Spirit to stir us to be more pleasing to Him 'fill the air with spice fragrance'. 

May I be like Jesus was, 'And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, fragrant offering and sacrifice to God' (Ephesians 5:2 ESV)

Help me to please You, my beloved King. 


Photo by Emmanuel Phaeton on Unsplash

Comments

Popular Posts