Reads of 2023

Hello friend,

Today, I shall share my reflections on every book I read in 2023. Thankfully, I took a few notes along the way and remember well my feelings.

Reading in 2023


Winnie the Pooh: The adventure begins… lessons in love for your life


Hilariously, my first completed 'read' was this little book. In the first week of the year, I visited a lovely town called Arundel and found this little book of lessons from the beloved childhood fixture, Winnie the Pooh.

This was a tiny hardbook picture book not technically constituting my idea of a read, but neverthless was cute!


Winnie the Pooh: The adventure begins… lessons in love for your life


21st Jan: 

  • A Love Letter Life by Jeremy and Audrey Roloff: Confirmative and insightful!
This book was my favourite on relationships ever read! At this point, I was not yet taking extensive phone notes to review each book, but there are pages of notes in my journal.
Essentially, it comforted me that the conclusions I had drawn on romantic relationships were shared by others who seemed to have benefited in applying them: Christian romantic relationships should keep God at the centre, take their time, be non-pressured, employ creativity and stay inquisitive, be uniquely tailored to the couple, and progress to marriage only if the people involved are truly suited to each other. The value of getting to know each other, working through things that come up and being patient with one another's pace was underlined. I am thankful for this couple sharing their story; like any of us, they are not perfect, but their story was enjoyable to read and rang true in many of its assertions.

22nd Jan / midnight so 23rd: 

  • Sanditon by Jane Austen and Another Lady: Glorious fun! 
Having kept strictly to Christian books for a long time, idle curiosity led me to dip my toes into this loan from a friend who was convinced I would like it. I started it at the very end of 2022 actually on the 29th, but abandoned it not very far in and resumed in January. I really enjoyed it! The droll humour, sarcastic portrayals, the sappy but not too sappy quality was good! Also, the lady who made this book did a fantastic job in emulating Austen's style. I had to Google to find out where Austen's writings ended and hers began! Generally, I was against people finishing unfinished works of other authors as I felt it would necessarily be unfaithful to the author's true intent. This may be true, but I now appreciate that some stories are just to good to be left untold. 

4th Feb:

  • WayMaker by Ann Voskamp: This book opened my eyes to the journey of faith. 
Ann is one of my favourite authors, but when I first started reading this book (in 2022), I was in a season of overwhelm. The message of location and here and the turn captivated me but not enough to keep me going through the whirlwind currently in progress. In 2023, He kept me hooked until the book was at its end. In fact, I wanted to begin again! This read powerfully demonstrated that to abide is to be attached to Jesus and this was what I needed. To be joined at the hip, to turn in every situation to face His lovely Face, to know Him as God here, Emmanuel. Abide was one of my words for the year so I was thrilled to find one of the keys so early on, in this book. I also realised that to let go is to truly live; surrendering by making Him my only Way is the fullest life. Just like on a climbing wall when you need to descend and go home, the safest way Home is to stop clinging on to our ways of doing things and opinions and fall into His waiting arms.

14th February:

  • Wild at Heart by John Eldredge: What a punchy message! Holds no bars - I like it!
  • As a woman, I felt encouraged to learn that a man’s job is to live on adventure with God and fight for His kingdom and my heart. A man already living this is worth waiting for.

17th February:

  • A Time to Dance by Karen Kingsbury (read in one day!)

This was another fiction book. At first, I thought, oh no, here we go a sap-tale! But I discovered beneath the epidermis of this book a beautiful reminder of the importance of love that sacrifices and holds the other until death. I deeply resonated with its message of fidelity. I think this was the only read I read in a single day (and it was 378 pages!)


8th March:

  • Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot: Like John Eldredge's book this was a pithy book about, at its core, what it means to be (male and) female.
Elisabeth provided an insightful case for femininity and biblical womanhood and marriage roles πŸ’• She had some views that I disagree with about women leading but overall I learnt a lot and appreciated it. Rather than dismissing 'old-fashioned' reads like this as past-their-time or 'stuffy', I am continually blessed by the words of the old that beckon young ones like me to a better way.

10th April:

  • The Veil by Blake Healy: This was a loan from my vicar and his wife, who are amazing!
  • This like 'a Love letter life' was a comforting read. Blake, by describing his seeing of angels and demons and many things in the supernatural realm was thoroughly encouraging. I always felt awakward about my 'seeing' even though I knew it was God's gift, I was more likely to hide it than discover its proper use! To realise that someone else sees like I have and even more helped me to be courageous and seek to understand why I see what I see. It illuminated that the purpose of the spiritual gift of sight is to help me and others know God. Knowing God became my anthem in 2023 and this book played a role in it.

14th April:

  • Rescued by John Bevere: Yes! love it!
  • Finally read this book after listening to the audio theatre version rocked my world at 10 years old. Again, it was a potent reminder to know Him above all else. How we will fare in eternity inexplicably exceeds the importance of how we fare (in comfort or success) in this life.

1st June:

  • the Shack by William Young: saw how He loves me and realised that He knows me and wants to be with me. Forgiveness is freeing and light and He wants to take me to the shack in my life and turn it into a beautiful garden. I learnt that He loves the messy garden that is my life and He has to root out some beautiful things to make a more beautiful thing. And ultimately the glimpses I have of Him in revelations of day or dreams of the night are more real than this dear, broken world. I realised He’s not angry with me and I must get off the throne of judgement and let Him love me and be judge and the one who takes vengeance. Despite poor theology in some bits and the weird female trinity characterisation, it taught me heaps. I am so grateful that I overcame the religious spirit and read the Shack.

6th June:

  • Anne of the Island by L M Montgomery (audiobook): SPOILERS BELOW! 
  • If possible I loved it even more than Green Gables and Avonlea. Also her 6 proposals (2 by Gilbert) and her getting mixed up over Gilbert and then Roy were not just hilarious but hope-inspiring. After all books written about fictional characters are still written by real people; if Lucy realised young women are easily muddled in love, it can't be all that uncommon or 'modern' to be clueless in relationships. The way Anne spoke of the Bible warmed me and I love that it,encouraged Davy to free himself before God and for prayer.
  • I love Anne!

19th June:

  • Life on Fire by James Aladiran: I am convinced, stirred, and on board with the wholehearted devotion, John the Baptist style set apart, consecrated, violently spiritual, very prayer-full, all out life for the Lord this book calls to. And I feel challenged to get friends alongside me in accountability for the purity of my life. I love Jesus and love James Aladiran and love this book! ❤️ the Jezebel theme was quite prevalent but if you don’t shut down because of that it will stir a passion that can’t be contained in you. 5* 10/10 100% Whoo!

23rd June:

  • Turn my mourning into dancing by Henri Nouwen: 
  • Life is like the dance of the trapeze artist as Nouwen explains in p.25’s story. Knowing our belovedness and living with love, holding everything lightly, with no expectations but simply grace for others, forgiving, and hoping, and trusting God to keep us to Himself in death, treating every moment as a gift and each person not as a foe or friend but as one God loves. Allowing people to live through their sadness without diluting it with cheery optimism and seeking to live with true compassions which asks How can I meet your true need? rather than How can I help you and meet my own need to be loved and useful.
  • To love as He loved us, enter into mourning for there is comfort, and to allow hope and trusting faith to birth brilliant joy that lightens in the darkness and dancing with the life of God as our rhythm and desire to know Him alone our dancing shows and this beautiful fragile life as our dance floor, with Him our dance partner, and Heaven our great reward. ❤️
  • I loved this book.  In the last few pgs I disagreed with a few things like that we can’t love immortal things including God before He became mortal. We are made to love the immortal God because eternity is set in the human heart. His insights on mourning leading to fully living and how an open heart and surrender trust leads to fullness (of joy) more than atoned for these blips.
  • Overall, it is a dazzling feast offering us to live from knowing God’s love for us and only serve from that place - which is exactly what God has been teaching me these past weeks. 
  • Bravo! 4.5/5 πŸŒŸ 

4th August

  • The secret of intercession by Andrew Murray - Revolutionary - the secret to abiding is intercession. It was one of those rare books on prayer that you can't put down and don't want to end! Very little paperback but filled with revelation that will change my life by making me stand in the gap wherever possible with joy, if I only let it.
  • The reset by Jeremy Riddle - A good reread to remind myself of why we worship.
  • It is so important to keep Jesus as the main thing. I was fascinated and deeply joyful to learn that worship needs to be based in prayer and mission, two of my other passions!


14th August:

  • Godchicks and the men they love by Holly and Philip Wagner: Finally finished this! Another book I started in 2022 but could not stomach and had to restart in 2023, more than once.
  • It was amazing advice on how to grow as a person, what to look for in a man, and how to build your marriage. ‘The secret to finding love that will last is to clarify what you want and then to pass on every frog who does not fit that picture.’ (p.72) ‘Intimacy is the goal and it is more than technique; it is knowing the heart.’ (p.207)

19th August:

  • Godmothers by Lisa Bevere: This book was beautiful. To faithful, not to freeze in fear afraid of missing God, seek help in older women, be the godmother I’ve wanted to have, and live focused writing the vision, digging up my talents and going forward in faith were just a few of the wonderful, confirming and informative lessons. This book contained words God has spoken to me all year and I am grateful for it. A great book to have read as I begin my 23rd year.
  • 5/5 my favourite Lisa book yet!

21st August:

  • Anne of Windy Poplars by Lucy M Montgomery (audiobook): Beautiful. Little Elizabeth’s pure faith in God inspires me too that tomorrow will be full of joy. Anne Shirley reminds me that every day is a gift an opportunity to be used for good in others’ lives.

29th August:

  • A Heart Ablaze by John Bevere: The fear of the Lord. This was a convicting read and the Lord disciplined me! I learnt so much about what seeking God and His glory really means. Coupled with David’s Tent it has set my course for transformation in this year of my life.

31st August 2023:

  • Without Rival by Lisa Bevere: I feel empowered to go out and get on with it - love fearlessly, stop envying and comparing, and follow Jesus with a readiness to die for Him.

2nd September 2023:

  • The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer: I feel closer to knowing how to know God having gained some insight into who He is and some wisdom on knowing Him. Brilliant brilliant work - all read today! (Oh another read in one day!)

6th September 2023:

  • The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis: This was thought- provoking and incredibly well written. I didn’t agree with it all but learnt a lot about romantic love especially. And was provoked to think interesting thoughts on affection & friendship. Deep insight on charity very Lewis in seeing the divine image in man- a seemingly large contrast after reading Tozer.
  • some quotes: ‘To hate is to reject, to set one’s face against, to make no concession to, the Beloved when the Beloved utters, however sweetly and however pitiably, the suggestions of the Devil.’ p.118
  • ‘The best love of either sort is not blind’ p.120 failure to acknowledge our need for God ‘has kept us from being happy’ p.125
  • ‘Only by being in some respect like Him… has any earthly Beloved excited our love.’ (p.132) Amazing! Fantasic! Intellectual!

10th September: 

  • Hind’s Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard: I have read this book many times and still get more out of it every time!
  • I related to the fears, the changing of nature from Much afraid, to sorrow and suffering being the driving force to change, to the Mist, the valley of loss, and the place of anointing, to the sea of loneliness, and realising you must be crushed in the desert, to all the ups and downs. I realised this is the Ascent, and I want to be transformed to the next degree of glory, so perfect this work: take me on this journey and I will follow Lord Jesus, Amen! 
  • 5/5!🌟

15th September: 

  • Give me this mountain - autobiography by Helen Roseveare: how I identify with this wonderful woman’s failures and weaknesses and how I admire her honesty and lived revelation of the privelege of being untied with Christ in suffering. Her struggle to give up pride, being in charge and the idol of marriage match mine and how God dealt with her desire to marry is similar to how He dealt with mine to leave my current situation for a more glamourous one.
  • God help me and have mercy!
  • Also interesting to see African independence from an earnest Christian, European-missionary perspective
  • 5/5🌟

(Most books this year have been outstanding!)

16th September 2023: 

  • Eat, Sleep, Prophesy, Repeat. By Tomi Arayomi: Wow God! As I worked through things that resonated and some that didn’t, I realised that I need to practise and prophesy because a prophet prophesies. Again, knowing God is the key, and revelation and the wisdom in sharing that was highlighted. As always response/ obedience is the only evidence of maturity and fruit the only evidence you are true. I loved this though I disagreed with parts. I would love him edit it or future books as he has a great message which polish could only finesse!
  • 5/5🌟 overall

26.09.23: 

  • One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp: One of my most loved books (reread)
  • I remembered that I am hungry for God. I had forgotten how much she wrote on the Father’s love in the last two soppier chapters (never liked ch 11 as much as earlier chapters). The place of seeing God, the importance of remembering God and all He’s done for us and counting your way to joy, the jewels of ugly beautiful in life’s pain, and the ardent seeking of God which makes us humble- the place to be. How ‘God is happiest of all’ and how spending your one wild beautiful life loving others will never be wasted ‘God extravagantly gives back more than we asked for… joy in Him.’

Trilogy

3rd October 2023: 

  • Brokenness by Nancy Leigh di Moss: The command God has made to me all my life to be honest and transparent is portrayed found here in this simple book. I realised I am still proud. I’m still the older brother. And I definitely need to be broken and admit ongoing sins like lying and past sins and ask for prayer from others in Christ x

7th October 2023:

  • Surrender by Nancy Leigh de Moss: I feel convicted and decided to obey in an area I’d been holding out in. Challenged again that there should be one else I desire apart from you.

15th October 2023:

  • Gentle and Lowly by Dane Ortlund: I am captured by this beautiful, gentle and humble heart of Christ which delights to forgive my sin and loves me steadfastly. This is a reflection of the Father whose nature is mercy and grace. And the Spirit shows us this love. All I need do is come. 
  • Bits I disagree with: once saved always saved theology and challenging bits on God’s sovereignty in ordaining all things including all suffering.
  • Interesting bits on Christ’s permanent humanity a new concept I’ve been learning about.
  • Altogether wonderfully written, lovely bit sized chapters, Reformed so different but beautiful.

20th October 2023:

  • Holiness by Nancy Leigh DeMoss: It’s time for the repenters to repent! This was an amazing message to remind me to God.

23rd October 2023:

  • The Magician’s nephew by C.S.Lewis: Amusing, comforting read. Reminded of the wonder of Creation and some of C.S.Lewis’ ways of describing God brought fresh remembered revelation πŸ’—

4th November 2023:

  • Compelled by Love by Heidi Baker: 
  • my further revelation of the Father’s love this week was sealed in by reading this book. 
  • It is encapsulated in the mandate to:

‘Let Jesus love you first so that you can love others as He did, (p.(144)

🌟 

  • Heidi’s humility as a Phd theologian learning most from simple children, her orthodoxy in upholding the Beatitudes as a standard for living, and her lived and believed that living in and knowing that you are beloved of God is what changes things. When your cup is full to overflowing with love, you stop for the one smelly, dirty, unkind, unrighteous, again and again and again and what Jesus pour His glory through you and love them back to life. 
  • All of ministry is loving from the overflow of our experience of His love for us and continually topped up by this love. 
  • I genuinely think another pivot has occurred in my mind concerning ministry ,reading this book.

13th November 2023:

  • Kissed the Girls and Made them Cry by Lisa Bevere: It’s beautiful. Insights like: we bring before Him the feast of our wills and exchange our delights and desires for His (p.80) or ‘In any given situation, ask…:How would my Heavenly Father want me treated?’p.91
  • ‘Areas you do not confront head-on will never remain silent. They must be brought to the Cross for a face-off.’ (P.96) ‘Holiness is not God’s asking us to be “good”; it is an invitation to be “His”.(p.129)
  • All the priestly garments and beautiful splendour were to declare Aaron God’s own (p.130)
  • Your Heavenly Father wants to clothe you with beauty, strength, dignity, and honour that will endure (p.166)
  • We must bring the secrets from our pasts into our present so others may hear them and learn (p.171) …there is truly no such thing as a secret
  • When you look to God, you are no longer a naked and shamed daughter of Eve, but you are a clothed and redeemed daughter of promise…a glorious bride who sings and dances while she waits for her prince, p.190
  • And her last words ‘Let your heart dance before Him.’ p.193

Her commitment to upholding God’s truth above our preferences and bringing failures into the light to heal and free us and save others is exceptional. I love Lisa!


21st November 2023:

  • Daring Greatly by Brene Brown: amazing to revisit this at a time when I am truly learning my worthiness and belonging as His beloved, starting to practise vulnerability, owning my story by leaning into the messiness & beginning to dream about cultivating connection intentionally.  Some aspects of certain theories are quite secular but most of it is easily contextualised into the Christian context.

22nd November 2023:

  • Hill of Angels by Sue Mayfield:
  • Scary to think of how religious divides can tear people apart, but inspiring to see the hope of some young people who lived in their values 
  • Nice to read a short, younger age written, fiction book - something different 

25th November 2023:

  • Bored and Brilliant by Manoush Zomorodi: At last! I was thrilled with all the research and evidence sustaining the thesis that technology is changing us. I was personally challenged that this is an area I need to reconsider my engagement with. On theme with my recent interest with ‘what would imagination inspired by the Holy Spirit look like?’- I will take action to create space for this godly dreaming - for creativity to thrive in my life.


25/11/23:Reading update in the 11th month

I want to read more books in the 36 days left this year… currently 8 + starting little women series of 4 (which can spill into 2024) on the list.


19/12/23

  • The Awe of Godthe astounding way a healthy fear of God transforms your life by John Bevere: I am astounded and deeply committed: to obeying God no matter what, to heeding the pricks of my conscience, to pursuing wisdom and learning more about holy fear, to love His glory, and to pursue true friendship with Him through obedient following. I want to live as a glory carrier, reflecting Him as a mirror, from an undivided heart, that has no selfish gain, self-preservation, pride, flippancy, errancy -wrong doctrine, or love of the world in it. That I would walk in humility and know Him, the Most High God of highest heavens, not worship a fake Jesus, be a true Christian, and be willing to suffer persecution and show up authentically for His name, to love not His just His Hand but His face, and to invest in a legacy that will not be burned by fire but will last for generations to come (making all my descendants righteous) and all eternity. Lord, come and transform me into a woman who fears You - the true Proverbs 31 woman. Amen.

23/12/23: 

  • Surprised by joy by C.S.Lewis:
  • Lewis passed through many phases of passion & emphasis, of imagined worlds , the romantics, ‘joy’, reason, the occult, idealism and finally landed at Jesus.
  • His book was riveting I started Thursday very late eve) and finished just now (Saturday eve)

28/12/23: 

  • A man called Peter by Catherine Marshall: It was a wonderful read. There was beautiful poetry in Peter’s reported speech and in Catherine’s skilful weaving of words. 


  • Poetry he used in sermons included for example: "Halls of highest human happiness" (marriage) "Like frozen thunder" A quotation from In Scotland again by Dodd and Mead 1933


  • Catherine's fantastic description: 'objects that Scott collected were the wellspring of the creative process for him... Scott had only to hold in his hand a bit of brocade from a gown worn by Queen Mary of Scots and the very crucifix that she had clutched as she walked steadily to her execution at Fotheringay, and the scene sprang to life for him. What was more, he could begin to feel the same emotions that had gripped the original actors in the drama. A story was then about to be born. There remained only the task of transferring to paper the picture his imagination saw and the emotion he felt.' (Catherine Marshall, 1951, p.102)
  • Peter's marriage advice resonated; it was like my Mummy & Daddy's 'If you will get down on your knees together your difficulties will soon be solved' p.131
  • Catherine remarks honestly, 'No two lives are forged into perfect oneness without a certain amount of painful adjustment.' (p.131)
  • Finishing the text of 'A man called Peter' was wonderful. I had tried to read it as a teenager and had given up in frustration and disagreement with the theology. How I have changed! Truly I walked with the largest of planks in my own eyes and did not see clearly the speck I so laboured to remove from my brother's.

This was possibly the best, most insightful reading year of my life (certainly of my adult life of a few years!)

With love x


...



Comments

Popular Posts