Bulgaria Trip Update #3




'I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.' (Psalm 27:13)

Early last week I finished 2 Samuel, struck by David's famous declaration:  “No, but I will surely buy it from you for a price; nor will I offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God with that which costs me nothing.” (2 Samuel 24:24) Unsurprisingly, the week's lesson headline is: 'Missionary life is not all roses (but it's worth it)'.

Having spent two weeks serving here, my impressions are a little more detailed.


Week 2 vlog: https://youtu.be/MEgcJfAqAVU?si=pmdHP9qg_h6SPJlM


REFLECTIONS

Learning from team members:

From our team leader to the short term team that joined us this week, there is a real passionate care for the people of Tulovo. I am inspired by the long term workers who are a few years older than me who are spending their years well, serving the Lord.

From observing our team leader communicating and how she paces the projects is teaching me a lot about FLEXIBILITY. This is a challenge to me as a natural 'planner', but I am so grateful for this growing opportunity!

Language:

Learning Bulgarian has been a struggle. I feel elated when I understand a string of conversation and am understood when I speak. But it often feels like 'I should have been more fluent... by yesterday!' I am really grateful for our language tutor Tsetsa, else I would have been reliant on my phrasebook, Google, and other people. 

Preschool update:

Some pivotal meetings last week have accelerated this pioneer project. Through more fieldwork - walking the Roma area meeting people and looking for preschool aged children we increased our database of children. We also met with the local primary school teachers, a local preschool employee, and a young teen who has offered to help with the preschool. I was especially encouraged by the love the Bulgarian teachers had for the Roma children (there is often discrimination of Roma and distance between these ethnicities) and the passion and initiative of our young friend who wants to help children younger than him.

The culture:

I have been so, so embraced by the Roma in Tulovo, from the grannies to toddlers. What a gift they are! The ethnic Bulgarians in the city where I live have been another matter. I would say I've received a lot of unfriendly curiosity which has made it hard to feel settled. It's certainly something I would love prayer for.

Another thing is, if you do mission work you will have your heart broken; I think that's a fact. I think one of the hardest things in the last two weeks has been meeting children whose parents have left the country, children picking herbs in the fields and selling them just to have food to eat. And it's painful to see teenagers who must raise their younger siblings and aren't attending school themselves. But, I feel this verse speaks to what God will do for these precious ones:

'When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take care of me.' (Psalm 27:10)


Prayer requests:

1) For a boy whose family's cabin car was burnt down. They are now on the streets. Please pray for miraculous provision and hope in their lives.

2) For a 15 year old (in a different community) forced into marriage by a father. It's so awful and really only God can help.

3) For one little boy whose birthday it is on Thursday. His parents live in Germany, and I would just love for God to shower him with His love and reveal His Father's heart to him.

4) For me: to be safe, to keep living with open hands for what the Lord wants, and to have supernatural ease in learning Bulgarian.

Thank you so much for your prayers!

Let me know if you have any questions; I would love to hear from you!






P.S they have beautiful butterflies here! I saw this one up in the mountains.


Comments

Popular Posts